Quick Spanish Rice
We were always glad to see a big bowl of this festive rice on the table. The carrots, peas and tomatoes make it so pretty. This versatile side dish goes great with any meat or Mexican meal.
Jerri Moror, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup diced cooked carrots
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute rice in oil until lightly
- browned. Add the onion, garlic and salt if desired; cook over low
- heat until onion is tender.
- Add water and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- until water is almost absorbed. Stir in the tomatoes, peas and
- carrots; cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are
- heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 3/4-cup serving prepared with low-sodium broth and without salt) equals 2 starch, 1 fat; also, 185 calories, 40 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 31 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 5 gm fat.