Quick Spanish Rice Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup diced cooked carrots
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute rice in oil until lightly browned. Add the onion, garlic and salt if desired; cook over low heat until onion is tender.
- 2. Add water and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until water is almost absorbed. Stir in the tomatoes, peas and carrots; cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One 3/4-cup serving prepared with low-sodium broth and without salt) equals 2 starch, 1 fat; also, 185 calories, 40 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 31 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 5 gm fat.