This hearty dish is one of our favorites. I've made it with all shrimp or with all turkey sausage, and it's just as good. I usually cook it in the microwave. -Mrs. Leo Merchant of Jackson, Mississippi
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- Lemon slices, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in sausage; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sausage begins to brown. Add green pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, seasonings and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in shrimp. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice. Remove from the heat.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with lemon slices if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quick Shrimp Gumbo in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p27
Reviews for Quick Shrimp Gumbo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review