Quick Shrimp Chowder
Pretty pink shrimp and green parsley dot this golden chowder. It's a rich and satisfying first course or main meal.
Anne Bennett, Hockessin, Delaware
12 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 large onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender.
- Add the potatoes, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are
- tender (do not drain). Add shrimp; cook until shrimp turn pink,
- about 5 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, heat milk. Stir in cheese until
- melted (do not boil). Add to potato mixture; heat through (do not
- boil). Stir in parsley. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 276 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 159 mg cholesterol, 737 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.