Quick Sesame Toffee
This recipe originally came from a friend in Canada. The sesame seeds add a crispy texture and unique flavor to the toffee. It makes a great gift that friends and family are always happy to receive!
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted, divided
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Evenly spread half of the sesame seeds in a well-greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. dish; set aside.
- In a heavy 2-1/2-qt. saucepan, melt butter. Add sugars and water;
- bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir
- until candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove
- from the heat and stir in baking soda.
- Pour over sesame seeds in pan. Sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds;
- gently press with a spatula. Cool. Break into pieces. Store in an
- airtight container. Yield: 1-1/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 ounces) equals 334 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 340 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.