Quick Savory Cheese Soup Recipe
This delicious soup recipe was shared by a friend and instantly became a hit with my husband. Its big cheese flavor blends wonderfully with the flavor of the vegetables. I first served this creamy soup as part of a holiday meal, but now we enjoy it throughout the year. -Dee Falk, Stromsburg, Nebraska
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Minced chives, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper; stir until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add carrot and celery; simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add to milk mixture and stir until blended. Add cheeses. Cook and stir until melted (do not boil). Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 402 calories, 28 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 1,088 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC