Quick Savory Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper; stir until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add carrot and celery; simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add to milk mixture and stir until blended. Add cheeses. Cook and stir until melted (do not boil). Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Quick Savory Cheese Soup
Sort By :
Just made this for lunch. I only had skim milk so I used that, thinking all the cheese would thicken the soup enough. It didn't. Also, I should have remembered catmom2011's warning that it takes more than twice the time to soften the carrots and celery. I didn't. Next time, I will take the time to do that and I will buy whole milk or at least 2%. Other wise, the soup had a good flavor.
This recipe was extremely successful! Took just about 25 minutes from start to finish as described. It has a delicate and very cheesy flavor. It got rave reviews at my dinner table and I was asked to keep this one on top of my recipe pile! Did not alter anything about the recipe, did notice however that it took longer than 5 minutes (more like 8-11) to soften the carrots and celery. I found 2 medium sized carrots and 3 medium sized celery stocks made the 1/2 cup requirement perfectly. Would not change a thing. LOVE LOVE LOVE. If you are looking for something delicate, cheesy and that you will want to have bowl after bowl of, this is the recipe for you!! I was sad to see the bottom of my soup bowl so I licked the pot in which I cooked it in as well. A++++
I serve this soup with unbuttered popcorn to our six children. They've loved it for years! It's sooo good & easy to make!
Savory Cheese soup, very good! Even my picky husband liked it. Easy to make.
This soup was SOOO good, thanks!