Quick Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
"If you're a rhubarb lover, this cake is for you," says Judy Roy of Flaxcombe, Saskatchewan. "I'm a former home economics teacher, and I received this recipe at a housewarming party during my first year of teaching. I love to cook for my family and anyone else who likes good home baking."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and 1-1/2 cups brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy. Add milk; beat until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. Combine the cinnamon and remaining brown sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 294 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC