"If you're a rhubarb lover, this cake is for you," says Judy Roy of Flaxcombe, Saskatchewan. "I'm a former home economics teacher, and I received this recipe at a housewarming party during my first year of teaching. I love to cook for my family and anyone else who likes good home baking."
Recommended: Our Best Coffee Cake Recipes Ever
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, cream butter and 1-1/2 cups brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy. Add milk; beat until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Combine the cinnamon and remaining brown sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p45
Reviews for Quick Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 30, 2014
"This recipe makes up quickly. It could use a little more flavour e.g. cinnamon in the batter. I used half butter and half applesauce. One cup butter is a lot . The cake was light and fluffy and enjoyed. would make again and add strawberries."