Quick Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
"If you're a rhubarb lover, this cake is for you," says Judy Roy of Flaxcombe, Saskatchewan. "I'm a former home economics teacher, and I received this recipe at a housewarming party during my first year of teaching. I love to cook for my family and anyone else who likes good home baking."
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, cream butter and 1-1/2 cups brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy. Add milk; beat until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Combine the cinnamon and remaining brown sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p45
Reviews for Quick Rhubarb Coffee Cake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 23, 2013
Big hit with my family! I did need to bake much longer than stated in recipe. Next time I will bump the oven temp to 350. I also added raw sugar to the topping and reduced the brown sugar to make a slightly crispy top. Very happy with this cake.