Quick Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Even my kids like this hearty, stick-to-the-ribs dish. I like to add cubed leftover ham to make it a main dish. —Megan Taylor
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked rice
- 2-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute green peppers, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add the Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover; cook for 5 minutes. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 424 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,267 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC