Quick Pizza Sandwiches
I REMEMBER coming up with this recipe years ago after a full day of activity and the need for a quickie supper. These robust subs are great and served with a salad and deli pickles, the meal is complete...my husband's favorite and my grandchildren's, too.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, mix the beef and seasonings just until combined.
- Divide into six portions; shape each into a 1-1/2-in. patty.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 minutes
- on each side or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Pour pizza
- sauce over patties and heat through. Spoon onto French bread;
- sprinkle with cheese. Cut into sandwiches. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 573 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1,428 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 38 g protein.