Quick Pasta Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds turkey Italian sausage links
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1. Remove casings from sausage; cut links into 1/2-in. pieces. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. In the drippings, saute green pepper, onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Add the water, tomatoes, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, salt, basil, thyme and sausage. Bring to a boil; add pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 18-22 minutes or until pasta is tender. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Quick Pasta Sausage Soup
"Turned out great! I estimated this soup to be approx. 150 calories per serving. I used 1.22 lbs of turkey sausage which was plenty"
"I really enjoyed the flavor of this soup, but there was WAY too much pasta. I would cut it down to 2 or even 1.5 cups next time."
"Very good soup. I never tried a pasta/sausage soup before and will definately make this again. I make my own Italian turkey sausage (also found in TOH Light & Tasty; 2003, p.131) and the soup turned out very well."
"This is a great soup. My family loves it! You can use a hot Italian sausage with this too and it is also delicious. Make sure you don't add too much pasta as it will turn out more of a pasta dish then a soup."