"Our family looks forward to a pot of soup every Saturday," writes Janet Eggers of Pound, Wisconsin. "This one ranks high at our house because the flavor is sooo good! The wonderful aroma of Italian seasonings simmering always brings folks to the table. The soup's nicely spiced, and the turkey sausage makes it a little lighter."
Recommended: 65 One-Dish Dinners That Make Cleanup a Breeze
- 1-1/2 pounds turkey Italian sausage links
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- Remove casings from sausage; cut links into 1/2-in. pieces. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute green pepper, onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the water, tomatoes, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, salt, basil, thyme and sausage. Bring to a boil; add pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 18-22 minutes or until pasta is tender. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Pasta Sausage Soup in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p19
Reviews for Quick Pasta Sausage Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2013
"Turned out great! I estimated this soup to be approx. 150 calories per serving. I used 1.22 lbs of turkey sausage which was plenty"