Quick Mushroom Stew
Even with chunky vegetables and tender meat, the mushrooms star in this stick-to-your-ribs main dish. I got the recipe from my cousin and adapted it for my mushroom-loving family.
-Cherie Sechrist, Red Lion, Pennsylvania
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- In a Dutch oven, stir the soups and water until smooth. Add meat and
- bay leaves. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and tapioca. Cover and bake 1
- hour longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Discard the
- bay leaves before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 297 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 552 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein.