Quick Jalapeno Hush Puppies
The crunchy exterior of these Southern-style snacks is a nice contrast to the moist corn bread. Jalapeno pepper and hot sauce add a hint of heat.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk, jalapenos, onion and hot
- sauce. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- tablespoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until
- golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
- Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 hush puppy equals 56 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.