Quick Jalapeno Hush Puppies Recipe
The crunchy exterior of these Southern-style snacks is a nice contrast to the moist corn bread. Jalapeno pepper and hot sauce add a hint of heat.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk, jalapenos, onion and hot sauce. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop tablespoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 56 calories, 3g fat (trace saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (trace sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein
Reviews for Quick Jalapeno Hush Puppies
Reviewed May. 3, 2016
"Great taste. Quick and easy to make."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC