Quick Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each), skin removed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth and chicken to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons cheese and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 3. Shape into 1-in. balls; add to broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Skim fat.
- 4. Add pasta, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones and shred meat. Add the chicken, spinach and remaining cheese to soup and heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 175 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 1,056 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Quick Italian Wedding Soup
"Easy and delicious! I've used leftover chicken rather than cooking the chicken breasts and added more vegetables to the recipe too-it never fails to please."
"Very good and easy to make. I added shredded carrots for some additional color & vegetables."