Quick Irish Soda Bread
Each bite of this traditional loaf is dotted with raisins. My family considers this my "best ever" bread recipe. I hope you agree.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Additional melted butter
- Additional flour
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and
- salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in buttermilk just until
- moistened. Fold in raisins.
- Knead on a floured surface for 8-10 times. Shape into a 7-in. round
- loaf; place on a greased baking sheet. With a sharp knife, cut a
- 1/4-in.-deep cross on top of the loaf.
- Bake at 375° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pan to a wire rack. Brush with additional butter. Cool. Dust with
- additional flour. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 135 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 288 mg sodium,