- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Additional melted butter
- Additional flour
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- Knead on a floured surface for 8-10 times. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf; place on a greased baking sheet. With a sharp knife, cut a 1/4-in.-deep cross on top of the loaf.
- Bake at 375° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Brush with additional butter. Cool. Dust with additional flour. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Irish Soda Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p34
Reviews for Quick Irish Soda Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review