Quick Homemade Sweet-and-Sour Pork Recipe
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Set remaining marinade aside.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade from pork. In a large skillet, cook pork in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on all sides or until meat is lightly browned; drain. Add the onion, carrots, green pepper, and ginger. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until pork is tender. Add reserved marinade. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Stir in pineapple. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups (calculated without rice) equals 379 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 603 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.