Quick Harvard Beets
We grow beets in our own garden, and they're so good in this recipe. They have such a nice flavor and are very pretty when served.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups sliced raw beets or 2 cans (16 ounces each) sliced beets
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a saucepan, place raw beets and enough water to cover. Cook until
- tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. (If
- using canned beets, drain and reserve 1/4 cup juice.)
- In another saucepan, combine sugar, flour, vinegar and reserved beet
- juice. Cook over low heat until thickened. Stir in beets, salt and
- butter. Simmer for 10 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 99 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.