Quick Golden Squash Soup
This delectable soup feels like fall! Its golden color and rich, satisfying flavor have made it a favorite of mine—which is really amazing because I was convinced I didn't like squash until I tried this recipe.—Becky Ruff, Monona, Iowa
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks in butter until tender. Stir in the
- squash, broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool
- In a blender, cover and process squash mixture in small batches until
- smooth; return all to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese; stir until soup is heated through and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with sour cream and onion. Yield: 6 servings.