Quick Golden Squash Soup Recipe
- 5 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute leeks in butter until tender. Stir in the squash, broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, cover and process squash mixture in small batches until smooth; return all to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; stir until soup is heated through and cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and onion. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Quick Golden Squash Soup
"I lighten it up by using light butter, reduced fat cheddar, & fat free sour cream, and it is still delicious!! Plus, it makes my house smell like Thanksgiving when it's cooking. :)"
"Excellent and easy squash soup recipe. Instead of leeks I substituted chopped onion, and also I used a buttercup squash instead of butternut. I had roasted the squash ahead of time and was looking for something to make with it. I find that roasting saves all the peeling and chopping. I omitted the cheese and froze the soup for a later meal and will add the cheese at that point, but to be honest it's wonderful without it too."
"Very easy to make and very flavorful without needing salt. I did use ground white pepper instead of regular pepper."