- 5 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks in butter until tender. Stir in the squash, broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process squash mixture in small batches until smooth; return all to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; stir until soup is heated through and cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and onion. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Quick Golden Squash Soup
"I lighten it up by using light butter, reduced fat cheddar, & fat free sour cream, and it is still delicious!! Plus, it makes my house smell like Thanksgiving when it's cooking. :)"
"Excellent and easy squash soup recipe. Instead of leeks I substituted chopped onion, and also I used a buttercup squash instead of butternut. I had roasted the squash ahead of time and was looking for something to make with it. I find that roasting saves all the peeling and chopping. I omitted the cheese and froze the soup for a later meal and will add the cheese at that point, but to be honest it's wonderful without it too."
"Very easy to make and very flavorful without needing salt. I did use ground white pepper instead of regular pepper."