Quick Gazpacho Recipe
Gazpacho is common fare here in the Southwest, and its variations are numerous. This one is simple, inexpensive, healthful and delicious. It works well as an appetizer, brunch dish or accompaniment to any meat entree. I prefer to make the tomato base the night before, but I've also made it early in the morning for serving with that night's supper.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 10 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 package (6 ounces) seasoned croutons
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 bunch green onions with tops, sliced
- 1. In a large bowl, combine first seven ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Stir well before serving; ladle into soup bowls and garnish as desired with croutons, cucumbers, peppers and green onions. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 140 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 811 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC