Quick Freezer Coleslaw
Making this coleslaw is a good way to use the extra cabbage, carrots and green peppers from your garden. It's also handy for big get-togethers.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded (about 10 cups)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- In a large bowl, combine vegetables with salt; let stand 1 hour.
- Place remaining ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil and boil
- for 1 minute. Cool. Drain vegetables and add to vinegar mixture;
- stir gently. Ladle into plastic freezer containers and freeze. When
- ready to use, defrost and serve chilled. Yield: 1-1/2 to 2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 186 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.