Quick Creamy Wild Rice Soup
"My husband and I call this our favorite soup," writes Marilyn Ausland from her Columbus, Georgia kitchen.
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1-1/2 teaspoons diced pimientos
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, mushrooms and green
- onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour and pepper until
- blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the rice, ham
- and pimientos; heat through. Stir in half-and-half; heat through (do
- not boil). Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 221 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 640 mg sodium,