"My husband and I call this our favorite soup," writes Marilyn Ausland from her Columbus, Georgia kitchen.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1-1/2 teaspoons diced pimientos
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, mushrooms and green onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the rice, ham and pimientos; heat through. Stir in half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Wild Rice Soup in Cooking for 2 Winter 2005, p43
Reviews for Quick Creamy Wild Rice Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2016
"I added left over turkey diced, instead of ham, and a small can of cream of chicken soup for more body. Delicious!!!!"