Quick Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in half-and-half until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 2. Add the cream cheese, salt, nutmeg and pepper, stirring until cream cheese is melted. Stir in spinach and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; heat through. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup) equals 131 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 704 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Reviews for Quick Creamed Spinach
"My husband has a garlic allergy so I left that out. It was still delicious."
"This was very good and so easy to make. The leftovers the next day were even better. I'll be making this again since I love creamed spinach. Thanks for sharing the recipe!"
"This was really good and easy to make, my kids would like me to make this as part of our Christmas Dinner - Wonderful!"
"This was delicious. I even got my 2 year old to take a few bites. I'll be making it again."