Quick Creamed Carrots
This side dish are always popular at my table. The rich sauce coats the carrots nicely and really perks up their flavor.—Eva Bailey, Olive Hill, Kentucky
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and carrots to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour,
- onion, basil, seasoned salt and pepper until blended; gradually stir
- in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Drain carrots and transfer to a serving bowl. Add sauce
- and stir to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 163 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 319 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.