Quick Creamed Carrots Recipe
This side dish are always popular at my table. The rich sauce coats the carrots nicely and really perks up their flavor.—Eva Bailey, Olive Hill, Kentucky
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, onion, basil, seasoned salt and pepper until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain carrots and transfer to a serving bowl. Add sauce and stir to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 163 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 319 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC