- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, onion, basil, seasoned salt and pepper until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain carrots and transfer to a serving bowl. Add sauce and stir to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Quick Creamed Carrots
"Turned out very good, even when I cut back on the seasoning salt and used fat free milk instead of evaporated to make it more low cal and healthy. I would make this again!"
"We tried this recipe tonight for our family which includes two toddlers--one of which refuses to eat his vegetables. Not only did he eat these creamed carrots--he was shoveling them in his mouth! I may have to make the sauce for his veggies from now on. :) The rest of us also enjoyed this new twist on carrots. We substituted whole milk with a little melted butter for the evaporated milk, and it was still delicious!"
"I love this recipe! Its easy, quick, and gives great flavor to the carrots. It adds personality to the carrots and goes great with most meats, potatoes, rice ect."