Quick Cream of Tomato Soup
This fresh-tasting soup is the first recipe I learned in my high-school home economics class. I've fixed it quite often since then. It's wonderful made with ripe garden tomatoes. —Gail Harris, Ramer, Tennessee
3 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + cooling Cook: 5 min.
- 2-1/2 cups diced peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, celery and onion; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often. Cool
- for 10 minutes; pour into a blender. Cover and process until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually
- add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually
- stir in tomato mixture. Add salt if desired and pepper; heat
- through. Top individual servings with sour cream and parsley. Yield:
- 3 servings. (3-1/2 cups).
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with evaporated skim milk and nonfat sour cream and without salt) equals 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat; also, 164 calories, 121 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol,