- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and one can broth until smooth; stir into mushroom mixture. Stir in remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Quick Cream of Mushroom Soup
"I loved this recipe, it was perfect, although, I did add a little minced garlic. This is a keeper!"
"Definitely add some thyme to the onion./ mushroom while sauteing, stir in a bit of sherry, and then the flour before the broth.. (no flour needed if blending all in a food processor), ...no salt if using salted butter and salted chicken broth"
"This was a fast and easy recipe. My grandson who hates mushrooms loves it. He is 14 years old. He just pushed aside the mushrooms and ate the soup. The base must be it. I made it exactly how they said and it turned out great. Very pleased."
"Great recipe. I Almost ate the whole thing myself."
"I'm sorry, the one star is all about the flour. I am actually mad at myself as I should have known better making this recipe. The flour should have been added with the onions and mushrooms and COOKED. All I could taste in the final product was 6 T of raw flour. It ruined the soup for me and I had to dump it as did one of the other reviewers. I am surprised that your daughter in law who is a gourmet cook didn't know this but maybe something got lost in translation. I am posting this, not to be mean but to suggest that this will be a good soup if you cook that flour.Jane"
"Delicious I make and let is sit in refrigerator over night. Husband brought home mushrooms and asked for this soup"
"Amazingly fast, and amazingly delicious! Loved-loved this soup!"
"I think this was a great starter recipe. Really, I don't like to read reviews that have altered the original. But...I needed to use portabella mushrooms and tarragon so I'm completely guilty of tweaking. The results were wonderful and I can still hear some scraping of bowls. Thank-you."