Quick Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add mushrooms and saute until tender. Combine flour and broth until smooth; stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Quick Cream of Mushroom Soup
Sort By :
"I was looking for a cream soup to use in casseroles and stumbled upon this. I just made it an it's quick and delicious! I followed the recipe exactly, except I only had canned mushrooms in the house, and yes, I used those. It's still really good and beats the heck out of canned soups with canola oil and GMO's in them. I blended it with my immersion blender at the end to make the mushrooms smaller. I did this for use in casseroles and the consistency is great. Next time I might add another tablespoon or 2 of flour to make it thicker, or reduce the liquid. Make sure you wisk the flour into the stock really well before adding it to pot, and boil for a full 2-3 minutes to cook out the flour taste. I will definitely be using this recipe in the future, and next time I will get fresh mushrooms. Looks like enough for 3 casseroles, so I will freeze the rest. Thanks!"
"Loved the receipe. I used plain mushrooms and yellow onion and it was great."
"Loved this recipe."
"This was very good and easy. I did add a bit of Sherry, thyme and a bit of tarragon - just because I love tarragon. I had some heavy cream I needed to use so did substitute that for the half and half. Hubby loved the soup and I will definitely make it again. I'm sure the soup will be excellent without the heavy cream and following the recipe as submitted. Thanks for an easy, quick recipe."
"Excellent soup. I prepare very low sodium soup, omitting the salt and using very low sodium chicken broth. To make condensed soup add half the liquid (411 g chicken broth and 118 g half-and-half). I've prepared a scaled up condensed version, freezing the left overs in 10-3/4 oz (305 g) servings. I use in any recipe calling for condensed soup."