Quick Cream of Mushroom Soup
MY daughter-in-law, a gourmet cook, served this soup as the first course for Thanksgiving dinner. She'd gotten the recipe from her mom and graciously shared it with me. Now I'm happy to pass it along to Reminisce readers.
-Anne Kulick, Phillipsburg, New Jersey
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add
- mushrooms and saute until tender. Combine flour and broth until
- smooth; stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the
- cream, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring
- often. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 131 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 538 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.