- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add mushrooms and saute until tender. Combine flour and broth until smooth; stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Quick Cream of Mushroom Soup
"Definitely add some thyme to the onion./ mushroom while sauteing, stir in a bit of sherry, and then the flour before the broth.. (no flour needed if blending all in a food processor), ...no salt if using salted butter and salted chicken broth"
"This was a fast and easy recipe. My grandson who hates mushrooms loves it. He is 14 years old. He just pushed aside the mushrooms and ate the soup. The base must be it. I made it exactly how they said and it turned out great. Very pleased."
"Great recipe. I Almost ate the whole thing myself."
"I'm sorry, the one star is all about the flour. I am actually mad at myself as I should have known better making this recipe. The flour should have been added with the onions and mushrooms and COOKED. All I could taste in the final product was 6 T of raw flour. It ruined the soup for me and I had to dump it as did one of the other reviewers. I am surprised that your daughter in law who is a gourmet cook didn't know this but maybe something got lost in translation. I am posting this, not to be mean but to suggest that this will be a good soup if you cook that flour.Jane"
"Delicious I make and let is sit in refrigerator over night. Husband brought home mushrooms and asked for this soup"