Quick Cranberry Scones
Being an Anglophile, I've tried lots of scone recipes over the years, but this is my all-time favorite. It was given to me by a hotel chef in Los Angeles and bakes into batches of lovely Christmas gifts for friends and family.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or dried currants
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg
- and cream ; stir into crumb mixture just until blended. Stir in
- cranberries. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently four times.
- Shape dough into a ball; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Pat
- until an 8-in. circle. With a sharp knife, score the dough into
- eight wedges (do not separate).
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Break into
- wedges. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 329 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.