Quick Cranberry Ice
Informs field editor Eleanor Dunbar of Peoria, Illinois. "I've enjoyed this with turkey at Christmas since I was a child. But it also makes a delicious dessert."
20 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + freezing
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 cups cold water, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 2 cup boiling water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- In a saucepan, bring cranberries and 2 cups cold water to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Press through a strainer to
- remove skins; set juice aside and discard skins.
- In a bowl, stir the gelatin, boiling water and sugar until dissolved.
- Add cranberry juice, lemon and orange juices and remaining cold
- water. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cover and freeze until ice
- begins to form around the edges of the pan, about 1-1/2 hours; stir.
- Freeze until mushy, about 30 minutes. Spoon into a freezer
- container; cover and freeze. Yield: 20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 145 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.