- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium pear, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Cooked pork chops or roast turkey or chicken
- In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, water, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the onion, apple and pear; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in raisins, lemon juice and peel. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Just before serving, stir in the walnuts. Serve with meat. Yield: about 7 cups.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Quick Cranberry Chutney
"Never made chutney before. Served with turkey , Broccoli artichoke casserole and Sweet Potato Apple Salad w Poppy seed dressing (all TOH recipes) got excellent reviews. Took also to a potluck and again great reviews. Thought it would also be good over pound cake or warmed over ice cream. Love the flavors. Will definitely make again."
"I have made this for the last few years. I omit the onions and walnut to accomadate my family's taste. My dad actually ate is as jam on his biscuits."