Quick Cornmeal Muffins
In El Dorado, Arkansas, Dorothy Smith can throw together these tender treats in no time. She just adds egg and milk to her blend to bake these golden cornmeal muffins that are a nice accompaniment to most entrees.
48 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 4-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder
- and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Store in an airtight
- container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: about 4
- batches (about 11 cups total).
- To prepare muffins: In a bowl, combine egg and milk. Stir in 2-1/2
- cups of cornmeal mix just until blended (batter will be thin). Fill
- greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 15-20
- minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes
- before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 160 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 315 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.