Quick Corn Medley
A garden-fresh medley from Ruth Andrewson of Leavenworth, Washington showcases corn in a colorful blend with tomato, green pepper and onion. "This is one of my favorite recipes when corn's in season," she confirms. Cumin sparks this delicious side dish.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups fresh-cut sweet corn (3 to 4 ears)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large tomato, chopped and seeded
- 2 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute
- Combine the first six ingredients in a medium saucepan; cook and stir
- over medium heat until butter is melted. Cover and cook over low
- heat for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato and sugar or sugar substitute;
- cook, covered, 5 minutes longer. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 2/3-cup serving (prepared with reduced-fat margarine and sugar substitute and without added salt) equals 96 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.