Quick Corn Chowder is a tasty, filling soup recommended by Diane Brewster of Highland, New York. "When my husband and I decided I'd stay home with our new baby, his salary had to be stretched pretty thin," Diane recalls. "I became an expert at preparing meals with more 'sense' than dollars!"
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towel to drain. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add the broth, water and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the corn, 3/4 cup of milk, salt and pepper. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Garnish with bacon and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Quick Corn Chowder in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p13
Reviews for Quick Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2014
"quick, easy and tasty."
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2012
"This recipe is very easy to make and also doesn't take long to make at all!"