This dessert completes the meal. It really hits the spot.—Karen Gardiner, Eutaw, Alabama
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 frozen pound cake (10-3/4 ounces), thawed
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Grated chocolate, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water and coffee. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and rum extract. Cool slightly.
- Split cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Brush with about 1 tablespoon coffee mixture; spread with 1 cup whipped topping. Repeat layers. Brush remaining coffee mixture over cut side of remaining cake layer; place coffee side down over topping. Spread remaining whipped topping over top of torte. Garnish with grated chocolate if desired. Chill until serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Quick Coffee Torte in Quick Cooking November/December 2003, p20
Reviews for Quick Coffee Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review