Quick Coconut Shrimp
For a tropical taste guests are sure to find delightful, serve this crunchy coconut-coated shrimp with a sweet sauce. “This is an impressive appetizer or can be served as a main course,” says Debbi Barate of Seward, Pennsylvania. “For another easy dipping sauce, combine a favorite jam with some crushed red pepper flakes.”
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 12), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 jar (12 ounces) pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon frozen nonalcoholic pina colada mix, thawed
- Starting with the tail, make a slit down the inner curve of each
- shrimp; press lightly to flatten. In three separate shallow bowls,
- place the flour, egg whites and coconut. Coat the shrimp with flour;
- dip into egg whites, then coat with the coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or
- until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine preserves and pina colada mix. Serve with
- shrimp. Yield: 4 servings.