Quick Coconut Shrimp Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 12), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 jar (12 ounces) pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon frozen nonalcoholic pina colada mix, thawed
- 1. Starting with the tail, make a slit down the inner curve of each shrimp; press lightly to flatten. In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, egg whites and coconut. Coat the shrimp with flour; dip into egg whites, then coat with the coconut.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine preserves and pina colada mix. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Quick Coconut Shrimp
"Made it for Super Bowl. I added a little salt and pepper to the flour before dredging and I shallow-fried shrimp in a non-stick pan. Perhaps that's why most of the coconut flakes stayed on."
"Sorry I meant to add the stars below-- I'm new at this ; ) I will try the recipe again as it did taste delicous-- but any hints as to how to make the coconut stick to the shrimp? thanks !"
"Just made this-- it is tasty but there is more coconut in the frying pan then on the shrimp. How do you get the coconut to stay on the shrimp? If I could get that figured out I would make again. thanks for the recipe!"
"This turned out great! Used it as a main course in peanut oil and made the dipping sauce from apricot preserves with a little orange juice and red pepper flakes. I'm going to need more practice for them to look like the fancy resturant, but the taste was as good or better. Thanks Debbi!"