- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and extract. Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Quick Coconut Oat Cookies
"This is a great cookie to add to any dessert plate! It is easy to put together and has an wonderful coconut flavor but not overpowering. I took the suggestion of others and added a 1/3 c of chopped pecans. It reminded us of pecan sandies! As a volunteer food editor for Taste of Home I enjoy recipes that are predictably good!"
"Great cookies! The pudding mix gives a subtle but delicious taste, almost like Keebler's pecan sandies. I may add some finely chopped pecans the next time I make them, and I'd like to experiment with other flavors of pudding as well. Another great feature is that they don't make a huge amount.....good for smaller families like ours."