- 1/3 cup prune baby food or unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar blend
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat the baby food, sugar, sugar blend, egg substitute, water, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the cocoa, flours, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into prune mixture until blended. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with chips. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Quick Chocolate Snack Cake
"PLEASE-unless you are a diabetic and understand diabetes-DO NOT comment on those recipes!!! Those that are diabetic know what they should eat and they will take care of themselves!! I speak from personal experience!!"
"I made this and liked it, and took it to a picnic and folks there said it was good. Were they being honest with me? I agree it does not seem particularly diabetic friendly and that labeling of it surprised me."
"Several people commented about this recipe NOT being good for a diabetic. That might be true, but perhaps the recipe author intended this recipe to turn people off who HAVE a sweet tooth. The author said in part, 'I never thought I?d be able to curb my sweet tooth?until I made this!' Maybe after making this recipe, you'll curb your sweet tooth... because you will not want to eat chocolate and sugar again!"
"This was very good,I made it and took it into work, never told anyone it was lighter, and it was gone in a flash. I used Splenda for the 1 cup of sugar and applesauce for the oil, it turned out very good."
"not for a diabetic"