Quick Chicken Rice Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the rice, chicken, salt, pepper and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the milk, lemon juice and wine if desired. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 203 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 648 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Quick Chicken Rice Soup
"Very quick, very filling and lots of flavor!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.