"I combined three recipes to come up with this take on the classic creamy chicken rice soup," says Marge Wagner from Roselle, Illinois. "I cut down on the butter, increased the vegetables and eliminated the half-and-half cream. This lower-fat version is truly delicious...and no one can tell it's light!"
Recommended: 33 Ways to Turn Rotisserie Chicken into Dinner
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the rice, chicken, salt, pepper and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in the milk, lemon juice and wine if desired. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Chicken Rice Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p13
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Quick Chicken Rice Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review