Our Test Kitchen bundles together a tasty blend of garden flavors with sweet and hot accents. Wrapped in lettuce leaves, these hand-held treats are a delightful change of pace—especially for those on a low-carb diet.
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/3 cup plum or seedless raspberry preserves
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sherry and cornstarch; set aside. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add carrot and ginger; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until carrot is tender.
- Meanwhile, for dipping sauce, combine the preserves, hoisin sauce, pepper sauce and remaining soy sauce; set aside. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to chicken. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in green onion.
- Divide chicken mixture among lettuce leaves. Fold lettuce over filling. Serve with dipping sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Lettuce Wraps in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p55
Reviews for Quick Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review