I used this speedy microwave recipe the first time I made chicken cordon bleu. Although I've since tried other recipes that bake in the oven, this remains the quickest...and the best. The moist chicken and flavorful cheese sauce make this entree perfect for a special occasion. -Shirley Jackson, Elkton, Virginia
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Flatten the chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. Spread mustard on one side; sprinkle with paprika. Top each with a ham slice. Roll up tightly; secure with toothpicks.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and pepper. Brush chicken with mayonnaise; roll in crumb mixture.
- Place in a shallow 2-qt. microwave-safe dish; cover loosely. Microwave on high for 7 minutes; turn chicken. Cook 5-1/2 minutes more or until meat is no longer pink; keep warm.
- In a 1-qt. microwave-safe dish, heat butter on high for 20 seconds; stir in flour until smooth. Cook, uncovered, on high for 20 seconds. Add milk and salt. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in cheese until smooth. Add wine. Discard toothpicks from chicken; serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quick Chicken Cordon Bleu in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p27
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Quick Chicken Cordon Bleu
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review