Quick Cherry Date Cookies Recipe
My mother made these festive drop cookies as far back as I can remember-80 years at least. We called them "the Christmas cookies", maybe because they're so full of fruit and nuts.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup quartered maraschino cherries
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water. Stir in walnuts, dates and cherries.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 10-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 88 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC