"Enjoy this refreshing, delicious alternative to traditional cheese and brocolli. The lemon sauce is great over cauliflower, too!" Barbara Frasier, Fyffe, Alabama
- 3 pounds fresh broccoli spears
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- Place broccoli in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, heat broth and butter until butter is melted. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice and peel. Drain broccoli; serve with sauce. Yield: 10 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
Originally published as Broccoli with Lemon Sauce in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p14
Reviews for Quick Broccoli with Lemon Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 26, 2010
"REMEMBER TO PLACE BROCOLLI IN A BOWL OF ICE WATER FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE COOKING. THIS STEP WILL ALLOW BROCOLLI TO RETAIN A DARK GREEN COLOR WHEN COOKING."
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2010
"This was okay...didn't seem to yield much sauce."
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2009
"a great twist on serving broccoli"