"Enjoy this refreshing, delicious alternative to traditional cheese and brocolli. The lemon sauce is great over cauliflower, too!" Barbara Frasier, Fyffe, Alabama
Recommended: 30 Quick Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
- 3 pounds fresh broccoli spears
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- Place broccoli in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, heat broth and butter until butter is melted. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice and peel. Drain broccoli; serve with sauce. Yield: 10 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
Originally published as Broccoli with Lemon Sauce in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p14
Reviews for Quick Broccoli with Lemon Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 26, 2010
"REMEMBER TO PLACE BROCOLLI IN A BOWL OF ICE WATER FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE COOKING. THIS STEP WILL ALLOW BROCOLLI TO RETAIN A DARK GREEN COLOR WHEN COOKING."
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2010
"This was okay...didn't seem to yield much sauce."
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2009
"a great twist on serving broccoli"